Total Pageviews

Sunday 18 February 2024

Do I Call Them "Moaners", "Time Wasters" or "Trolls"



In all seriousness I have encountered them all since I started publishing Golden Age reprints and having the old characters featured in new strips.  

For the GA reprints I had someone who wrote: "You have humour strips in this collection and I am not going to buy those unless its super heroes"  My response was to ask how he knew what was in the books if he had never bought a copy of any of the volumes and I pointed to one that fulfilled his wish...nothing more. 

Then I had someone make a public comment that I had reprinted a GA comic and it was from his scan as he could find no other scans of it online. He really got annoyed. My response was to post a photo of me holding the actual GA comic that I had scanned. Silence. 

The next was a rather dubious statement to one of my own groups from someone who obviously thought I was stealing his online GA comics website viewers. Someone asked what sort of quality the reprints were and he stated "Not very good photocopies -looks like it was done on a photocopier in a shop" I can take weeks to clean up comic strips that were misprinted, have foxing on pages, sellotaped pagers and general print dirt from the cheap 1940s printing process. I pointed out that this person had an online comic site so was not happy and then asked which book of reprints he had because at that time no copies had sold.  Silence.

Then the newer strips with GA British characters. Drawn in great style by Ben Dilworth and not changing the characters. "It's not like the original strip!" was one comment. Well, since most of the original creators had been dead a few decades and the strips were drawn by someone else...you get my point. Also the original artist on one character drew him slightly differently over the years so....

Above all else I go for top quality printing and paper and the cover prices are so low they are practically give-aways because I started publishing them as "a work of love" as they call it. So one of the books of reprints will cost you about 2-3 times (some times 5 times) cheaper than the original comic  IF you can find it.

To make it clear: 

1.  if you order a book from the online store it does not involve international shipping. Books are printed in your region -that's how print on demand works.  

2.  The price of the book should be shown in your own currency.

3.  Obviously your local postal rates apply and there are options for tracked, special delivery and untracked (the least expensive) postage from within your region.

Ordered in your region, printed in your region and delivered by the postal system in your region.  It could not be more simple.

One important thing to note is that third party sellers will state "post free" and that is a lie. You often pay 30-75% more on a book ordered through a third party seller than from the online store. The reason is because the third party seller HAS to buy from the online store and the selling price usually covers two postal payments -0from store to them and then to you.  

People have purchased from third party sellers and not gotten their books or have had to wait over a month for them to arrive. At that point they contact me and it is all very simple: they tried to rob me of a sale and bought a book at a far more expensive price because they read "post free". That is important because if you buy from a third party seller you are removing the small profit I make on a book. Also, ordering from the online store is not just cheaper but, even though it has never happened since I started selling in 2009,  I can actually look into why you have not had your book delivered. Third party seller -your tough luck.

Support the creator and publisher not third party scammers.

No comments:

Post a Comment